Chapter Three: "Sima's Diary - 28th of Flamerule 1501" (2026-04-04)

28th of Flamerule 1501 (continued)


Where was I.... oh yes, Honey was flirting/fighting/somethinging with a red-headed lady when we heard the song that gave the Elfsong Tavern it's name. I don't remember all the words, it's was vaguely familiar, an old Elvish song about a lover lost at sea - it was very beautiful though.

I met the barman/landlord - Alan - he said the place used to be his great grandma's or something and the song was like a blessing that just came with the pub, everyone knew it but they never got tired of hearing it. I was buying everyone a round of drinks and arranging a private room; it's important someone takes charge in situations like this and frankly this is a rough crowd Talon and I have found ourselves in! Vaandrik seems to be a wizard but he goes around swinging a sword and shows very little decorum so I'm not sure I should follow his lead. Anyway, Alan obviously saw how capable a diplomat I am and made a proposition that if we could convince one of his tenants, Oshalla, to pay up the 25 gp she owes in back rent he'd give us our drinks for free. Well, nothing ventured nothing gained - up we went. I will confess I maybe wasn't as convincing as I could have been. Daleth always said I was shaping up to be a proper young lady and that you catch more flies with honey than vinegar so  I asked nicely, and she rudely said no.

I was happy just to pay for our food and drinks to be honest (Obviously, after the two pick pocketing instances, that time I lost a few gold to that guy playing card games and the time I accidentally lost my  purse in the river, Talon keeps a hold of my money now so I'm not keeping exact track but I think we're still pretty rich) but the others seem to be a little more on the side of force and violence. 

We have a key to the door but this Oshalla character had barricaded herself in! No match for Talon, of course! Like a mighty warrior he broke through in one swift, precise, powerful kick. Honey did a better job of convincing her to part with her money but she was like nobody else I've ever met! Oz said she was Sahuagin, a race of piscine creatures who worship Sekolah the shark god (I didn't even know there was a shark god! I'm going to have to check through Daleth's religious texts when I get home, I thought she'd taught me the names of all the gods!). Oz also made a good point that Oshalla said she needed money for food because she's out of the ocean but why is she out of the ocean? Oz seems very wise, I like him, not just for saving my life but he seems kind.

Oshalla reminded me a little bit of Maude, mostly just the sea connection, I tried to suggest that Maude was lonely and looking for company, she was hungry and Maude had unlimited food maybe I could introduce them but that Oshalla was frankly just plain rude so I think Maude probably dodged an arrow there!

Anyway, as we were heading back downstairs to give Alan his  gold we heard the song again but the lyrics had changed. I tried really hard to remember them this time and wrote them down before I forgot:

O sing a song of Elturel
Of water, woods, and hill
The sun dawns on her ruddy cliffs
And fields green and still.
This land of long-abiding joy
Home of the strong and brave
Renowned by all, across the realms,
And never once a slave.

O sing a song of Elturel
When foes are at her door
Her fields torn by cloven feet
From some infernal shore.
Arise the mighty Hellriders
Take up your swift, keen swords
Then charge into the hellish fray
And scatter devil hordes.

O sing a song of Elturel
And when the night does fall
Sleep safe beneath Companion's light
Until the dawn does call.
We're bound by mortal covenant
That only ends with death
And so we'll sing of Elturel
Until our final breath.

If that, dear Diary, isn't fate herself calling out a song, then I don’t know what is! It was as though destiny had sung the song, every note deliberate and impossible to ignore. This was a sign; a quiet declaration that we had stepped into something larger than ourselves, and that we were meant to follow where it leads.

I'm not sure everyone else felt that same vibe though, maybe Honey did? She's really cool. She's a little bit scary sometimes, especially after the bakery episode but there's just something about her - something enchanting, something adventurous. I'm thinking I might ask her if she'll be my friend but maybe I'll wait a little bit longer.

So, we give Alan his gold and he gives us free board and lodging! It's going to be hours before Tarina is likely to show so we head out to do some investigation in Insight Park.


We met the park keeper, a gnomish gentleman called Torimesh. Vaantrik went in with the silly clay badge that stupid Zodge Captain fellow gave us, which didn't go down too well but he soon warmed up to us. I don't think we're quite the loveable group as that the last bunch Talon & I met up with up north (Laszlo aside, obvs!) but I can see potential there. 

My only worry is Flea & Vaantrik, I'm not completely certain what the history is there but they really do have a strong dislike for each other. On the walk over to the park I tried to get the two of them to talk out their differences, I think it was a good start.

The park though, Talon offered to help Torimesh with some seed planting and I think that helped him like us more. Oz went investigating and said he found some residue or smell or something of some kind of alkaline substance. He said it's the kind of thing a tanner would use and Torimesh said there's a tanner called The Poseidon near to docks.

I watched Honey sit down and cast speak with animals. I watched over her shoulder every second but it didn't work, I didn't learn anything and my spellbook is still empty. I miss talking to the chickens so much, it's been so long - I hope they don't think badly of me. Anyway, Talon was busy planting so I followed Honey, she talked to a fox (obviously I had no idea what they talked about but why a fox? I saw birds, squirrels, I think I saw a vowel, there was a badger set but I guess it was daytime but she chose a fox - I think I'm right to hold off on committing to a friendship until I know more about her) and then she followed the fox to a place where Honey said one of the bodies was found. She found an important clue - a blood stained piece of paper from a refugee entry form but (and Talon spotted this) it was a forgery!! Honey said someone was trafficking people and the killing them and I'm not really sure what that means but it sounds awful.

I'm not sure what Flea & Vaantrik were doing, they obviously weren't together! Probably investigating. Flea is really quiet, I think the only time she really speaks  is to throw an insult at Vaantrik. She's quite quick witted if I'm honest but I try not to laugh because I respect Vaantrik and I don't want to encourage Flea. She's very scary and really she's actually really a criminal who I think might really have been trying to kill that baker (and sometimes she smells a little bit) but there's something about her, something glints in her eye when she straps her shield on it's like some kind of honor, reverence? dignity? valour? Daleth would know the right word, I miss Daleth.

We went to the tannery

The tree! I nearly forgot the tree. Torimesh showed us this giant tree that he cares for and called it the Drawing Tree; it's a really beautiful tree and it's magic and can show prophecy's is it's well cared for. The tree showed us a vision of an angelic figure holding a large sword. Their arms were bound in chains and a large stone slab/tablet was cracking underneath them being consumed by fire. Not quite as rousing as the Elfsong but I can't help but feel we are being guided by destiny.

When we head over to the tannery the sign above the door said "The Poisoned Poseidon" - very ominous! The history around here apparently is that some kind of tidal wave washed up a whole bunch of debris and ship and they just decided to roll with it, make the most of it and turn some of flotsam in to structures. This tannery was almost pitch black when we went inside so we started looking for clues - oh my goodness, the most exciting part! I can't believe I didn't way this pages ago.... I cast Mage Armour! Vaantrik did it all casual like it was nothing and nobody was looking so I sort of cast it on myself and it happened, instantly. I'm so happy. I it's coming back, I worried not doing my daily studies would slow me down but it's happening anyway, I hope I can see Matron again one day.

Anyway, we come across these two cultists. Vaantrik was actually quite brave running in first to tackle them, he and Flea took the first one down (they fight very well together) but then Talon and I handled the next one! It was just like when we practised, I rushed in, darted around the guy, clonked him on the back of the head and just as he turned around to retaliate Talon came in and knocked him out cold!

We tied him up and I stood guard outside whilst the others questioned him for more clues. I heard Honey shouting about forged papers and someone saying something about a thumb but anyway there was a lot of banging and the bad guy spilled and told them that refugees are being tricked in to the city with false papers but it's his boss, Remigio, that's the real bad guy. They left him tied up in there, he certainly didn't deserve to be walking around free for a while yet!

We found some letters in the Captain's quarters:


Remigio,


I’m not really surprised to hear that Fahul is complaining about living in a tannery, the fastidious little weasel. I’m pretty sure Vaaz just wanted him out of his hair when he assigned him to you.

If he keeps giving you a headache, remind him what the alternative is. I doubt he’ll find the noxious fumes of this sewer we’ve been gifted under the bathhouse any better.


Flennis

Remigio,


Expect more Fists from the Frolicking Nymph within the tenday. And probably a couple of Night Blades. Now that the Agent has his operation fully established, he should be able to start feeding us targets at a faster clip.


Flennis

Master of Souls,


I hope all things are well. I have heard complaints from one of my Fists, but I assure you that neither I nor the Emissary lend it any credence. The Emissary does suggest, however, that your minions begin dumping the bodies farther afield. He wants us to “spread the terror,” and is also concerned that the park may become a security concern.


Vaaz



We were just on our way down to the captain's quarters to investigate when




Elsewhere, in a rain soaked street a figure is thrown against a wall and held by their neck. "I know nothing about them" he rasps. An inhuman voice chillingly says "you do, tell me who they are". The grasped figure coughs out "They are the Vanthamper"

Vanthamper